Socially speaking

I just read part of an article from yet another social media expert.

That's right, part. Why? Because I could spend all my time reading peoples' expert advice, so filter by disregarding those that come with an invitation for a free seminar. That may seem arbitrary, but I tend not to trust advice from people who are pretending to give it free while actively tossing me a sales pitch.

So as soon as I spotted the pitch, I quit reading and started to write a few thoughts of my own.

The article actually touched on a sensitivity of mine. Social media in the corporate world. I am turned off by blatant advertising disguised as conversation in social media. I tell people to either engage in open, honest discussions about issues you're passionate about or, if you have something to sell, just buy a targeted ad on facebook or promote a video on YouTube or get some adsense.

Lately I'm seeing a lot of local companies -- or principles of same -- following or friending media accounts or fan pages only as a way to publicize paid events or to sell products. For a small business whose reputation is critical, that's a bad idea. You end up alienating the very base you need to impress most.

I imagine these people are accepting free advice from veiled snake oil salesmen. The advice? Follow, link with and friend as many high profile entities as possible and get your message out there often -- and damn the consequences. To me, those people give off the same aroma as the pyramid schemers of the seventies.

My best advice is to get out there and socialize like you would normally, in a way that suits your own personality. Be authentic because your prospects can smell phonies. And when it comes time to make a pitch, don't disguise it as a "conversation"; buy the ad unit.

If you value your wares, then respect people enough to be able to judge them on merit in the light of day.

Popular posts from this blog

A University City, Missouri police sergeant detained a man who flipped the bird and demanded identification

A "consensual stop" in West Des Moines, Iowa

Teenage migrant worker held for months following questionable police stop in Florida