It's wanting to see shows like these that make me feel both old and nostalgic at the same time. See you old-timers there!
2009 Iowa state Fair, Budweiser Stage sponsored by ABC5:
- Firefall, Thu & Fri (Aug 13 & 14) @ 7:30 & 9:30
- Headeast, Sat & Sun (Aug 15 & 16) @ 7:30 & 9:30
- Pure Prairie League, Mon & Tue (Aug 18 & 18) @ 7:30 & 9:30
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Three Local TV Reporters in the U.S. Stand Out
These three dedicated Chief Investigative Reporters, Jody Barr, Brenden Keefe, and Dave Biscobing, are known for their long-form investiga...
-
Defense attorney Kevin Reddington's aggressive post-trial actions—including requesting an invasive judicial investigation into Desronvil...
-
The Des Moines Register’s reporting is vastly superior to KCCI's coverage , offering a comprehensive investigative piece that interroga...
1 comment:
As usual, The Iowa State Fair was another extraordinary event.
Numerous musicians and bands graced the stages over several days, providing a variety of entertainment for fans of all ages.
I was fortunate enough to take in two acts which were personal favorites of mine, Firefall and Pure Prairie League. Both bands put on fine shows, playing two sets each on different days of the fair.
Pure Prairie League, in particular, had a rousing performance, with some hard driving country rock, played only like PPL can play it. Had I closed my eyes, I may have thought I was back in the 70's, with the upbeat and overall superb musicianship of the band echoing through the air, as the crowd reacted like it was the 70's. Naturally, there was the mandatory sing-a-long to Amie, the most defining song of the country rock era. Not to say they didn't hit on many of the other numerous classics: Two Lane Highway (another of the all time great country rock tunes), Kansas City Southern, I'm Almost Ready, Let Me Love You Tonight.
I checked PPL's website prior to the Fair and was shocked to see they released a new CD awhile back. I was not shocked however to find it an instant classic, one that has received superlative reviews all over the internet. This CD blows away anything released by many of PPL's 70's counterparts who have put out new music in the last several years, and I include The Eagles in that. What band comes out of a near 20 year retirement and releases something as relevant as All In Good Time ?
The lineup at the fair was founding member Craig Fuller , Mike Reilly, who has played with PPL longer than anyone, Donnie Clark, Rick Schell and Fats Kaplin.
After listening to all of PPL's work on my CD's since the show, I'm left with one question : How is this band not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ?
George Driscoll, Jr.
Post a Comment