Thursday, July 17, 2008

Gannett 2Q profit falls by 36 percent

I don't believe the paper's decline is because of any perceived liberal bias, dittoheads. Fewer readers get their information from print because there are so many free and instant sources -- including this web site. 1. Local delivery audiences are dying off -- literally; and 2. local advertisers don't understand how to market to an audience that's obviously shifting to online sources. Consider that a typical newspaper reporting staff today is comprised of two-thirds online content producers.

That's telling. And it lends a lot of credence to the Craigslist argument in the comment section of this story; my baby boomer mother uses it.

And partly because...it's the economy, stupid.

This is an awkward time for traditional media, but I assure you that "liberal bias" is nothing more than a branding campaign aimed at the feeble-minded.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Danny,

Jon Froehlich here from the 1996 KKDM days.

I agree with you that it is an awkward time for the media today. I'm teaching in Las Vegas and I'm reading more and more about the 21st century learner. I am adapting how I teach because I need to reach the students in the medium that they are familiar and comfortable with. Who would have thought an Ipod or cellphone would have been an important tool to use in school?

I'm happy to see the shift, but I think it's important that "traditional" media stay in the mix because if our society collapses, (because of corporate and government egos) all the computers and technology won't make a bit of difference. I don't know to what extent or how powerful a role it would be in the rebuilding, but it would definitely be a part.

Three Local TV Reporters in the U.S. Stand Out

  These three dedicated Chief Investigative Reporters, Jody Barr, Brenden Keefe, and Dave Biscobing, are known for their long-form investiga...